Council Rates

Council Rates and Fees and Charges form an important part of revenue streams for the Shire of Brookton and are used to fund Council services like maintenance to parks and playgrounds, library services, rubbish collection and refuse site management, roads and operation of recreational facilities.

Anyone owning residential or commercial property in Brookton is a ratepayer of the Shire and is required to pay rates.

The Shire of Brookton also provides a variety of services to the residents of Brookton that are chargeable. The details of services provided and the fees and charges as determined in the annual budget is available below.

Notice to Ratepayers

If you are in financial hardship, please contact the Shire Administration Office to see what options may be available. 

A copy of the Shire Financial Hardship Policy 2.21 can be viewed on the Shire of Brookton website or obtained from the Shire Administration Office.   

Payment of Rates

There are 3 options to pay your Council Rates, in full before the due date, 2 instalments or 4 instalments. 

Option 1 – In Full

Full Amount                 4 September 2023

Option 2 – 2 Payments

The first instalment is due 35 days from the date of issue of the rates notice. Instalments dates are as follows:

1st instalment              4 September 2023

2nd instalment             12 January 2024

Option 3 – 4 Payments

The first instalment is due 35 days from the date of issue of the rates notice. Instalments dates are as follows:

1st instalment              4 September 2023

2nd instalment             9 November 2023

3rd instalment             12 January 2024

4th instalment             18 March 2024

Pensioner/Senior Rebates and Deferments

To qualify for a rebate, you must:

  1. Own and occupy your house as at 1 July each year, and;
  2. Be in receipt of a current:
    1. Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) issued by Centrelink/Veterans Affairs; OR
    2. WA Seniors Card (SC) issued by the Office of Seniors Affairs AND a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSHC); OR
    3. WA Seniors Card (SC); OR
    4. State Concession Card (SCC)

Should you meet the eligibility criteria listed above you can now register by visiting The rebate is calculated from the date that you register with the Water Corporation.

Change of Ownership

Under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1995, notice must be given in writing to the Council within 21 days of rateable property being sold or disposed of. Details of land description and name and address of the new owner must be provided. Proof of new ownership may be required by the Council, prior to its recording being altered.

Policy 2.21 - Financial Hardship

The Shire Council have adopted Policy 2.21 - Financial Hardship, this is to continue support of: 

a) Shire of Brookton ratepayers experiencing financial hardship or difficulty in meeting their commitments regarding payment of rates and/or charges. 

b) The whole community to meet the unprecedented challenges from events, such as the COVID-19 pandemic or a major bushfire. This policy is intended to ensure fair, equitable, consistent and dignified support to ratepayers suffering hardship is offered, while treating all members of the community with respect and understanding of difficult individual circumstances. 

Tenants who also have an agreement with a landowner to receive a rate notice are also covered by this policy. A copy of the policy is available in the Shire of Brookton - Policy Manual to view here (page 128)

A copy of the Financial Hardship Application form is available to download here (please file, save as, a copy of this document on your device, prior to completing). 

Payment Methods

Direct Deposit

BSB: 633-000

ACC: 117 805 648

Name: Shire of Brookton

Reference: Assessment Number (This will be a letter A followed by a series of numbers)

In Person

Shire Administration Office

14 White Street, Brookton WA 6306

Opening hours are 8:00am to 4:15pm Monday to Friday.

The Shire Office accepts Cash, Cheques, EFTPOS, Visa and MasterCard

Over the Phone

You can make payment over the phone by using your Bank Card.

Contact the Shire of Brookton Administration Office on 9642 1106.

Please have your Bank Card and Assessment Number on hand.

By Mail

All Cheques should be made to the “Shire of Brookton” and payments may be posted to:

PO Box 42

Brookton, WA 6306

Please do not send cash in the mail


Please follow the link

All information regarding Bpoint payments can be located at the bottom of page 2 on your Rates Notices.